So you’re looking at buying a second hand boat. You have your check list ready – is the hull ok, does the motor turn over, does the interior have any rips or scratches, but what about the trailer? Do you have a check list for that? Most people don’t even think about looking at the trailer, as long as the wheels are on and it has rego the trailer must be fine – Right? Wrong.
There are a number of things that should be checked before buying a second hand trailer. Let’s start with the obvious:
- Are the lights attached and working?
- Do the rollers move on the trailer/
- Are the skids in good condition?
- Is there any cancerous rust in the frame (rust that has eaten through the metal)?
- Is the axle rusted out?
- Are the rims and tyres in good condition?
- Is there any play in the bearings?
- Has the trailer ever been in an accident?
- Is the trailer plug and wiring in good condition?
And if the trailer has brakes:
- Does the brake adjuster move?
- Is the brake cable rusted out?
- Do the callipers move?
- Is there plenty of pad left in the brakes?
Thirdly, to make sure you can get the trailer registered in your name:
- Make sure the current owner can provide you with registration paperwork for the trailer (even an old out of date rego form is fine)
- Make sure the details on the rego paperwork are identical to the details on the trailer and the trailer’s compliance plate (usually located on the neck of the trailer)
- If there is a number plate on the trailer leave it on (even if it is from interstate)
- Check there is a VIN number on the trailer – again usually found on the compliance plate and can also be stamped into the chassis – usually on the neck of the trailer.
- Check the trailers registration (NSW only) online : https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/check-vehicle-registration
Repairs on a boat trailer can cost well into the thousands so keep that in mind when you’re negotiating a price on a used boat. If you would like to know more about repairs to trailers, contact BOLD Trailer And Caravan Repair Centre on 8544 0493.